Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Martini anyone? Liquor as a home accessory...

I"m not sure what this says about me, but I think beautiful liquor bottles make a great home accessory. This portrait, along with its stocked tray of spirits, sets a certain mood. I can imagine someone asking for a Manhattan or a Rusty nail as they head off to an overstuffed chair by a roaring fire. My preference is for a bar to be set out on a table although there are wonderful bar cabinets available. I just think there is more visual interest as you can change the choice of liquor bottles and accompanying accoutrements with the season.








Image via House Beautiful. Design by Craig Schumacher and Phillip Kirk, portrait by Arn Hansen.














































Our bar cabinet is positioned between two french doors in our family room. This photo is from the summertime. As you'll note, there are two, not one, bottles of Bombay Sapphire. I love this gorgeous caribean blue color! ( and a well-made gin & tonic with a twist of lime.)





Living etc, Jan 2008, Inside-Out chest, Fresh West Design


Williams Sonoma Home Montmarte Cabinet


Inside Avenue bar cabinet

And for those wine aficianodos - a vintage bottle holder.

12 comments:

pve design said...

with a twist.
you have inspired me to put out the decanters again
and set up a little bar cart. love yours.

London Calling said...

Your bar cart is gorgeous! I had noticed it on your side pictures but thought it was from a magazine!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful bar you have!

Michelle said...

ooooh I love your candelabras or are they lights ???....love the blue too !

My Notting Hill said...

thanks for the comments everyone! Just Imagine - they're candelabras. I think they were made by Global View

Anonymous said...

I've never thought of liquor bottles as decorative pieces, but I love the picture of your bar cart. Yours is the best looking!

Kwana said...

Your bar cart is beautiful! Back in the day the bar was a fab accessory. I think with things socially the way they are it has become all to casual.
I love these photos! Maybe I'll set up a cart one day.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

really beautiful -and a gin and tonic is my favorite drink as well :-) I have my bar set up on an antique mirror on my bookshelf. My friends always stop there first for refreshment when they come over :-)

Mrs. Limestone said...

I love your tray! We don't really drink at home but I think a bottle of bombay saphire would qualify as liquid art :)

Chris Kauffman said...

What a beautiful photo of your home, love the blue.

Decorno said...

May I ask where you found your blue tray? I love it!

My Notting Hill said...

Decorno - I bought it at Plantation LA in Venice, CA. I'll email you more info.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails