Monday, June 15, 2009

Upcycling Part 1: Thank you Domicidal Maniac!

Sunday 1:50 pm - Visit Domicidal Maniac. Oggle over his extremely tasteful and refined apartment and then move over to his Saturday post on Shop Talk. Heart skips multiple beats when I see THIS desk! I've been trolling Craigslist and consignment stores for months looking for something exactly like this. Here's Scott's comments: This desk is beautiful -the hardware, legs, leather top!!! With a little love this could make for a very smart work space! Oh, I whole heartedly agree.
Sunday 2:05 pm - Call Ruff & Ready (no website, 202.667.7833, 1908 14th St. NW DC) Talk to the owner, Bill. I must sound like a crazed nutcase as I'm explaining I just saw his desk on Domicidal Maniac and I've been wanting one like this forever and does he, I hope, still have it?? We go back and forth. I give a description. Bill's not sure. I say the magical words, "It's pictured on a gray pavement." Bill responds, "Yes, it's out on the sidewalk."
Sunday 2:20 pm - Back and forth, checking measurements with Bill and Al. Buy it over the phone. Bill tells me, "We can deliver it tonight if you'd like?"

Sunday 8:05 pm - A pick-up truck pulls up to my house. The desk is home! $257, including delivery, and I'm in upcycling heaven. Love the ridged brass panels that flank each side of all four corners. Love the hardware and the brass rims, the fluted legs, and the brass bottom-things! Can't wait till next weekend to start working on this.
I am indebted to Scott for his post. Love when blogs are not just fun to read but also extremely helfpul! Here are some more pics of Scott's stylish apartment. I don't think he could have styled this photo any better than here, with his color-coordinated dog peering over the couch.

Love the pairing of this chair w/the painted tub, marble floor and blue/gray tile.
And a huge thank you to to Stefan of Architect Design. He threw a blogger high tea where I met Scott of Domicidal Maniac and a number of other terrific DC bloggers. Each blogger received a very thoughtful treat - a cupcake from Georgetown Cupcakes.
Check out these DC bloggers:

25 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

I picked up a similaar yet smaller version at a local antique shop last year, some lamswool, glaze and after a custom french distressed finish , it looked so different and is the facal point of my entry way...
Love this desk as well...
Leslie

Dumbwit Tellher said...

That was truly desk love. I am very jealous - I have heard great things about Georgetown Cupcakes. What fun to get together with fellow DC bloggers!

katiedid said...

You lucky thing!!! $257?!?!?! Not only lucky to have the desk, but lucky to get to have get-togethers with such great bloggers!

Pigtown*Design said...

WOW! I keep thinking I need to come down and see some of the places he talked about, especially Miss Pixie's. The gals from the Post always reference them.

Can't wait to see what you do with the desk. It's a real find!

Windlost said...

I am so jealous. Stuff like this doesn't happen here - there is very little great furniture to be had. Going to check out that lovely blog you mention. That little dog is too funny.

Enjoy your beautiful new desk - I am so excited for you - the lengths we go to for our decor! Definitely show us some photos once it is installed into your decor.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I had read Scott's post and thought he had bought it for himself! How wonderful we have it within the blogging 'family' LOL.
Thanks for the mention -it was my pleasure to have ya'll over!

ana said...

Oh the dog is so cute! and the bathroom is too gorgeous... I'm going to check all this blogs
thanks

vicki archer said...

Will check them out....great desk too, xv.

mb said...

How excited are you to have found your desk at an affordable price. I lived in DC years ago... I am sure that I bought an cabinet and chair at Ruff and Ready. Is it in Adam's Morgan? The cabinet needed a major overhaul and the french chair immediately went to be upholsterer.
Enjoy your desk, you clever shopper.

pve design said...

bingo! I love it!

Abby said...

Scott makes all our hearts go pitter-patter.

What a truly great desk. There is something about found pieces that you just can't get in a brand-spankin' new piece.

Thanks for the mention!

Beth Connolly said...

Thanks for the mention of Chinoiserie Chic and Style Redux. What a great find! We missed you Friday-hope you can make the next one. Beth

Joan said...

I'm experiencing serious desk envy. I have 2 "antique" end tables in the same directoire style, it's not an easy style to find at a reasonable price. Congrats and enjoy. I love your blog!

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

What a great find! The apartment is wonderful too. As much as I love color, the monochrome look is always faultless.

Janet said...

I love this story! Can't wait to see the desk ensconced in your abode.

Alicia said...

Love you & hate you all at once. $257.00!!! Thats with delivery. Man the Gods smiled on you. I drooled over the desk reading the post, wishing I was far claser than AZ. Man I need to get back East..anyone need a boutique manager???
Congrats & I can't wait to see what you do. His shot didnt do it justice. Its a slice of heaven!!!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, I love the desk and I can't wait to see it after you have done a little work on it! What a great find! Love your blog! Take care, Caroline

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ooooooh nice find! But I want the cupcake.

Charlie said...

Love your new acquisition! Only in my dreams has something that wonderful happened to me. I cannot wait to see where you place it.

It is so wonderful that DC bloggers meet up and get to know each other and exchange ideas. I discovered Architect Design a while back on your blog and I really enjoy his blog.

London Calling said...

The desk rocks! And the price too. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

Oh my goodness - LOVE your new desk. What a find!

Living the life in The Little City said...

I liked that desk, too. Glad it went to a good home.

Lara Harris said...

OMD!Love the photo with the dog peeking over the couch!How good is that??

Maureen Stevens said...

that desk is definitely beautiful! vintage stuff just has so much details.

and how fun about the blogger party, must have been nice to connect with so many lovely & creative people. i've heard so much about georgetown cupcakes, must be really good :)

Velvet and Linen said...

Great desk, Michele.
You have a great eye.
Thank you for taking us to the party.
Scott's home is beautiful.

xo
Brooke

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails