Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's Not Leather - It's Concrete!

Yes, that ottoman may look like leather but it's actually concrete! Mention this to anyone looking at it and they find themselves compelled to touch it before believing you. In some cases, they'll even knock on it before believing. Known for resurrecting the dying art form of high quality concrete faux bois, Richard Taylor of Flat Earth Designs has taken concrete to a whole other level with these pieces.
The zipper and button detail is incredible. I should also mention these pieces are suprisingly comfortable to sit on.
In addition to the ottoman, Richard creates a Barcelona chair in concrete. This one is in a light finish. Couldn't you see these in a chic hotel or backyard garden setting?
Another double-take; this is concrete not alligator.

Just one of the many faux bois planters available.
Eddie Ross chose these mushrooms for the Chicago WOW event - I'm also loving the beautiful console table they're featured on.

Another favorite of mine - the poppy bowl.
I forgot where I saw this but a designer had a placed a huge clamshell like this in a fireplace. Looked stunning.
Pennsylvania finial.
Hypertufa spheres in various sizes. I particularly like this large one on a pedestal.

The Richmond Planter. The finish on this piece, and the one below, is akin to marble.
Rams Swag Pot
Oak leaf urn
This is just one of a number of lions available.
Richard's work is sold wholesale to stores and garden centers throughout the U.S., including select pieces for Anthropologie. (*Although he does sell to the public at the Round Top Antique Shows)

The acorn mirror and frog on a pedestal, along with a number of other pieces, are available from Scentimental Gardens and SG Grand in the Chicago area. (Debra has a great eye and has been carrying Richard's work for a long time.)
Here in DC, I believe Notting Hill Gardens on 815 King Street, Alexandria, VA will be carrying some of Richard's collection in the near future. (no connection to me)
To see more of Richard's work - go here. If you're like me, you'll spend alot of time looking around!

24 comments:

phillips phamily said...

Floored by that ottoman! Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I really like the mushrooms.

Wendy said...

I loved looking at these. All. But those concrete pieces are amazing! How fun for an outdoor setting.

pve design said...

I was looking at flooring the other day and was mesmerized at all the patterns and materials. There were leather looks and all sorts of interesting things.
Concrete, who would know that it was not leather?
Those mushrooms are wonderful.
pve

Marija said...

I just sat on that stool - less than an hour ago! I dropped in because I haven't stopped thinking about it...is that crazy?! It's really fantastic and I think Richard is beyond talented and Debra has an incredible eye. Contemplating a few of these on my front porch. So spectacular!! Love that you posted these!

~Grace Happens~ said...

neato! that is super x 10!

vicki archer said...

Amazing work...those stools are are incredible, xv.

Simony said...

Very beautiful work! I was impressed with the details. First time I saw this type of work. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

That ottoman is absolutely amazing!!

Jennifer said...

that "leather" is rocking my world! wild.

1 Funky Woman said...

Its so hard to believe I would so have to touch them! I love those big concrete balls!

debra @ 5th and state said...

michele;

our worlds intertwined today.

received a call from marija that she was interested in those stools

i called richard asap knowing just a few were left. we were talking about you and then up comes the blog post that i read out loud to him! amazing isn't it? great great story
xo
debra

Boxwood Terrace said...

Wow, that is incredible work, artistry really. The pieces looks so much like upholstry. How chic!
Deborah

Kelly Green said...

Gotta love how versatile concrete is! Wow! KG

for the love of a house said...

wow, that ottoman is amazing!! I can't get over that it's concrete! What a talented artist.
joan

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Oh wow, this is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I do believe I love it all. I can't tell you how I admire that Barcelona chair.& stool. Remarkable works of art. Wouldn't you know that he sells at Round Top now that we are leaving Texas / :

Thank you for showing Richards work. So wonderful to see. Have a safe but fun 4th of July weekend ~

My Notting Hill said...

Hi everyone - thanks for all these comments. Glad you think his work is amazing too! Michele

Dovecote Decor said...

I almost couldn't believe my eyes with that ottoman! Its like a sculpture of an ottoman, like a work of art. But seriously, how much does that thing weigh???
-Dovecote Decor
http://dovecotedecor.blogspot.com

Mike Thompson said...

GORGEOUS WORK!!

Unknown said...

Oh, I SO love that poppy bowl! Still can't believe the furniture is concrete. Very cool - thanks for sharing!

Hello Lover... said...

His work is really great - but what absolutely amazes me is those ottomans - I feel like I need to touch them to really believe it!

The Single Nester said...

No way is that ottoman concret! Really? Wow. I want it so I can fool all my guests as they think they are about to comfortably have a seat.

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

WOW who knew?!?!
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails