Wednesday, May 7, 2014

One Room Challenge Reveal - master bedroom!



**you can find an updated version of the room here**

Ready or not, time for the reveal!  First a huge thank you to Linda of Calling it Home for being the motivational guru behind the One Room Challenge.  So let's start where my master bedroom was 6 weeks ago.  A forgotten space with an accidental color scheme and lousy storage.   The goal was to transform it into a restful, space with warmer colors and some needed conveniences.


BEFORE


Remember when I showed you this wall with the mismatched dressers and the constant clutter that always seemed to be there?


So here's a the run down of what was done:

- Installed 14" deep Ikea Pax cabinets on this wall.  
- Painted walls and ceiling.
- Made drapes and a pelmet.
- Recovered the headboard in a gray mohair.
- Replaced the light fixture
- Found a bench for the foot of the bed, side dresser for my husband, an additional lamp, an accent pillow and art for the room





Here's the beautiful greek key pillow from Charlotte & Ivy.  I accidentally ordered the gray trim, as opposed to the gray/gold trim, but it's a happy accident.  The workmanship is wonderful and I love this pillow with the pillow covers I made from a cut velvet from Haute Fabrics.


I kept my small night stand as there's not alot of clearance with the swing of the bathroom door.  Stacked books raise Ikea Ranarp lamp up to better match the one on the other side. A spray painted scallop shell we brought home from Scotland is my ring dish.



The Sinclair Wood Bench from Lamps Plus.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago, this bench is so well built.  I added a leopard throw to tie in with the headboard.


Since I have asthma, a full rug in the bedroom isn't an option.  However, I added in this leopard runner for softness and color.  The under $40 light fixture is sprayed gold with rub n'buf for extra patina.




The nightstand is a mini-Ikea hack of the Trysil dresser.  The trim, legs and hardware were sprayed gold with a bit of rub n' buff added.   Detecting a trend here…


The art on either side of the bed are black and white pic from St John USVI.  Also the place where I spend 9 days of this ORC  or AKA, the reason the molding isn't done on the Ikea Pax cabinets! :)


In the end, I went with the doors in the same color as the walls.  I'll live with that for now - I started to worry that the gray would bring the eye down because these doors are much shorter than those on the Ikea cabinets.




Here's the new storage wall.  Eventually there will be trim and additional shelving in order to make it feel like a complete built-in.  In the mean time, we're loving this extra storage and the forced neatness it causes!





An abstract I picked up last week at a thrift store.



The entry to our bedroom now has a piece of art, Painted Grunge from Minted, that I think is a better scale for the space.  Love the clean lined white frame too.



Finally, I couldn't find a place for Below Ravello from Minted in the bedroom but it has a happy home in our bathroom.



So it's a wrap - minus the trim work for the Ikea closets!   I'm really enjoying my new bedroom. It feels relaxing and I like the new color scheme.  So once again, thank you Linda for being the driving force behind one more re-decorated room in my house!


Now I'm off to check out this amazing group of bloggers to find out how all their rooms turned out!

58 comments:

Woodside Park said...

Looks awesome, Michele!!! Love your recovered headboard and the bench. Now it is such a serene and stylish space. Speaking of Haute, Tom and I visited yesterday - found 3 amazing fabrics for Maine!! xo

Ashley said...

Congratulations on a job well done, Michele. The space is soothing, calm and (of course) chic. I missed a few weeks there, but really enjoyed seeing the space come together--and especially love the gold & gray mohair combination.

The Pink Clutch said...

Ah-MAZE!!! I love all the changes and I know you are loving all the new elements. Great job!! xo

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It looks wonderful. I love your storage and the linens too. WEll done.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

It looks great! I really love the artwork you chose. It certainly contributes to the overall calming atmosphere.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Has it really been six weeks already??? Time certainly flies, and you obviously made the best use of yours ... even with the vacation tossed into the middle of it. I love how well thought out and well put together your bedroom is now. Great job!

debra @ 5th and state said...

sheer perfection michele, WOW!!!!

love the art, wallpaper, clean lines and soothing color choices. FUN!
debra

Unknown said...

this looks great! would you be so kind as to share the name/brand of the spray you used for the trim on the Trysil night stand?

Unknown said...

Beautiful Michele, and what a lovely MBR retreat! Very sophisticated. Love the Ikea mini dresser. Enjoy and congrats on your accomplishments! xo Nancy

Unknown said...

this looks great! would you be so kind as to share the name/brand of the spray you used for the trim on the Trysil night stand?

Karena said...

Michelle a very chic and relaxing room . I,love the soft, yet rich color palette! Bravo!

xoxo
Karena
Arts by Karena

Melaine Thompson said...

SO CALMING, LOOKS LIKE A HOTEL!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

it's so serene and peaceful - great transformation! I actually am really glad the closet doors are the wall color -you don't want to draw attention to them! They look great. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

HUGE improvement! So crisp and clean and such a serene dream. Lovely.

http://www.preciouslyme.com/ said...

Beautiful bedroom! Congratulations :)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Classically modern and fresh. Love your artwork.

René said...

Love your serene new look so much! The headboard looks great! Our bed is in front of a window too and I always enjoy seeing how others make it work.

Thehouseofhampton said...

Loving the quiet elegance that you've achieved. My eyes lit up when I saw your storage wall. What a clean modern current look you've created. LOVE your art work and gold finishes too. Well done. Now celebrate!!!
Sharon

Thehouseofhampton said...

Loving the quiet elegance that you've achieved. My eyes lit up when I saw your storage wall. What a clean modern current look you've created. LOVE your art work and gold finishes too. Well done. Now celebrate!!!
Sharon

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

What a great transformation. I love that ikea hack dresser...And I love the art you chose. Fabulous job! COngratulations!

Unknown said...

Beautiful job!!! Your IKEA hack is ah-maazing. Love the serene and elegant feel you've created in the room!

Andrea said...

What a soothing oasis you have created!! Congratulations on an amazing transformation!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

What a beautiful and restful space! You have done such a wonderful job Michele!! You got so much accomplished in such a short time and it looks custom from top to bottom. Beautiful!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Michele,
My overall impression of your master bedroom re-do is one of appreciation that you have successfully achieved a peaceful and stylish haven. I followed along during the weeks and could see your carefully planned and thought out design choices. L-O-V-E the mohair and OMGosh that abstract adds such an amazing accent on the grass cloth.
Congratulations on creating your beautiful restful haven.
Vera

pam {simple details} said...

Such a beautiful retreat you've created, Michelle!! Your Ikea hack is so good, isn't it amazing what the littlest detail will do! I love the bench you chose and your pretty styling on the shelves! I can totally picture the trim to give your storage unit a built-in look. Enjoy!

Jessie said...

Such a lovely room! I love the restrained color palette. A very well edited room.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Beth Connolly said...

Very serene and elegant. A job well done.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Michele, this feels like a hotel. I love the crisp linens, upholstered headboard and the bench at the end of the bed. The accessories are well thought out. Sweet dreams in this room. Great job.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Well done Michele! That room looks so restful and inviting and much more functional too. Love the gold touches - I might have to copy your Ikea side table hack ;) Enjoy a well-deserved restful night's sleep!

Carrie said...

I love how this turned out. Absolutely serene and beautiful!

Vel Criste said...

Love the clean lines and simplicity Michele - just what a bedroom should be! Congrats on a job well done!

Vel Criste said...

Love the clean lines and simplicity Michele - just what a bedroom should be! Congrats on a job well done!

Kim said...

Michele it looks awesome! I love the dark gray on the headboard and that textured wall area! Way to finish your space and now you can relax in it!! Sweet Dreams! xo

Unknown said...

Love that your bedroom is so crisp and tailored. A perfect place to wind down at the end of the day. Congratulations!!

SHERRY HART said...

Whew....I know you are glad it got finished before you took off out of town! It is such a calm and tailored space now.....Love the texture of the grasscloth wall and the bedding is very pretty Michele. Now you can relax:)

My Notting Hill said...

Kim - RE: the spray paint. When I get home from Atlanta I'll post about the brand I used.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

alison giese Interiors said...

Great work, Michele! I'm dying over that Ikea hack! Love the clean lines - looks so fresh and so clean, clean!
Congrats on a great ORC!
ag

House of Pemberley said...

Your bedroom looks so great! It is beautiful. Great job!

autumn said...

i love that ikea nightstand! it looks like a million bucks! and the grasscloth accent wall and the touch of mustard are just beautiful!

Reichel Broussard said...

This bedroom looks soo luxurious, calm and relaxing! If this were my bedroom, I'd be one happy mama! xoxo

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I'm loving this color combination! Everything looks so serene and sophisticated. Lovely, lovely lovely.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacey said...

This is such a sophisticated transformation! I love it! The details are luxurious but not overdone. You did a fabulous job!!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Michele-
I am speechless! Not the two same rooms!
You have done an exceptional job here!
Teresa
xoxo

Tobe | BIA said...

looks great! those nightstands are tdf with the ikea lamps. and it was pretty genius to spray paint the shells :) the grasscloth really adds a richness to the space. love it!

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Congratulations on a wonderful and serene transformation! Really love the grasscloth treatment and that IKEA hack. Great job!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Very chic, Michele! I love everything you've done here. The clean, crisp design looks absolutely beautiful and serene. You accomplished so much and it's just lovely!!

Windlost said...

Looks fabulous and pulled together and such subtle glamour. I love it all. Can you come and do my guest room? I am just totally stuck and don't want to spend any money either. Will be some Ikea hacking soon...

:)
Well done!
xo Terri

My Notting Hill said...

Kim - the spray paint I used was Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish in gold.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Price Style & Design said...

Your art selection is so incredible! I love that little piece that you got at a thrift shop! The room has a wonderful feeling to it! Well done!

Price Style & Design said...

Your art selection is so incredible! I love that little piece that you got at a thrift shop! The room has a wonderful feeling to it! Well done!

Abby M. Interiors said...

Very elegant and timeless! Congrats on a beautiful room. Now you can relax and enjoy it!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Wow! What a beautiful transformation! I love the Ikea storage and can see how you are going to make that whole wall look amazing! Well Done!

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

Oh my gosh - SO beautiful! I love what you did with the light fixture and the Ikea dresser. The art is gorgeous, the lamps are spot on. Everything looks so elegant and polished. Yay for being finished - congratulations!

Unknown said...

I have a thing for Greek key trim - love the pillows! Home run on the art choices! This is a perfect room to rest! Great job!
Shelia
www.houseofhighlands.com

horizons6478 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Studio Yuko Jones said...

What a beautiful, serene and refined bedroom! I'm in love with all the details - from the Greek key pillow to heardboard. I can't get enough of the wallpaper (grasscloth?) + artwork combo. I wish I could move into your bedroom! xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails